Gas Safety

Gas safety information for holiday homeowners

It may come as a surprise, but the gas safety requirements for holiday let owners are the same as those for long-term let landlords. Here are the key areas you need to be aware of:

Who needs a Gas Safety Certificate?

As a landlord you are responsible for the safety of your guests and are required by law to hold a valid Gas Safety Certificate.

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

A Gas Safety Certificate is an inspection that will assess the safety of appliances, flues and pipework in your property.

How do I obtain a Gas Safety Certificate?

Gas Safety Certificates must be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

How often do I need to renew my Gas Safety Certificate?

You will need to renew your Gas Safety Certificate every 12 months.

What do I do with my Gas Safety Certificate?

A copy of your certificate must be displayed in the property where your guests will see it. You must also keep a record of your certificate for 2 years.

For further information on Gas Safety for Landlords please take a look at the Health and Safety Executive Guide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Inhaling this gas can be fatal. Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels, such as gas or oil, aren’t burnt fully. Carbon monoxide detectors identify the presence of this harmful gas.

Do I need to install Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Yes, by law you, the landlord, are required to have a carbon monoxide alarm installed in any room where solid fuel is used. If you don’t have CO detectors fitted in your holiday home, you’re not only compromising your guests’ safety but also at risk of receiving a hefty fine.

For further information please take a look at The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Shoreline can help with Gas Safety Certificates. Please get in touch with us if you would like further information.