Visit Whitby in Summer 2024
Visit Whitby in Summer 2024 for some great events.
Whitby’s summer calendar is one packed with rich diversity. Whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, a music lover, or someone seeking a relaxing seaside retreat with the children or grandchildren, Whitby has something for everyone. Whitby’s rich cultural heritage, combined with its pretty river Esk and seaside setting, makes it an ideal destination for a brilliant British summer holiday at home.
April: Goth Gathering
- Whitby Goth Weekend (26th – 28th April):
Kicking off the most popular events is the world-renowned Whitby Goth Weekend. Join the eclectic mix of locals and visitors alike, as the town transforms into a haven for alternative fashion, live music, and unique arts and crafts.
May: Festival Frenzy
- Whitby Fish and Ships Festival (18th – 19th May):
Indulge your taste buds in the freshest seafood at the Fish and Ships Festival. From culinary delights to live entertainment, the festival celebrates Whitby’s maritime heritage and its thriving fishing industry.
- Dippy Craft Fair (25 May):
Dippy Designs Gifts & Events returns to the Whitby Pavilion with the first of four dates in 2024. Overlooking the sea, this is a beautiful venue that offers a fabulous craft and gift fair with 40-60 stalls. Free entry for visitors and dogs are welcome.
June: Marvellous Music
- Status Quo live (2nd June):
The original rockers, Status Quo are heading back to the Yorkshire coast next summer for a headline show at Scarborough Open Air Theatre.
- Whitby’s ‘60s weekend (7-9 June):
From Friday to Sunday night, enjoy a full weekend of sixties music, featuring some of the biggest names of the 1960s.
- Live Music at the Endeavour pub (From 16th June):
Irish music takes place at the Endeavour pub in Whitby every 3rd Sunday from 1.00pm. Musicians from all over the north of England get together for a session, an event that has been running at The Endeavour for over 30 years. All musicians welcome. Or visit the pub on a Saturday night for live music from 8pm, weekly.
July: Cultural Collection
- Whitby Northern Soul Weekender (5th-7th July):
The original Yorkshire Soul Weekender Experience in the beautiful town of Whitby. It’s always a packed show and featured the best in Northern & Modern Soul music.
- Summits of the North Yorks Moors Ultra trail run (6th-7th July):
The Summits of The North York Moors Ultra is a challenging trail run taking place from 6th-7th July 2024. The race is a circular route covering the 10 highest hills of the North York Moors National Park. Runners will cross hills and moorland, running approximately 115 miles with a climb of 14,000 ft.
- Whitby Steampunk Weekend XVI (26th – 28th July): Witness the whimsical spectacle of the Steampunk Weekend, where Victorian elegance meets futuristic innovation. Marvel at the costumed participants and enjoy the markets, parades, and concerts throughout the weekend.
August: Seaside Shows
- Whitby Folk Week (17th – 23rdAugust):
A long-standing celebration of the traditional music, dance and song of the British Isles. Immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere as locals and tourists come together to revel in the summer spirit.
- Whitby Regatta (17th, 18th, 19th August):
One of the oldest regattas on the northeast Yorkshire coast. A weekend of family entertainment and fun, yacht and rowing races, live bands, classic car rally.
- Staithes and Runswick RNLI Weekend (16th-18th August)
Starting with the famous Nightgown Parade, the lifeboat weekend is full of family friendly events and activities, including a lifeboat race and evening fireworks.
- Egton Show (21st August):
The 133rd Egton Show will have a wrought iron and farrier display, a farmers’ market, plus all the usual horse, cattle, sheep, goat, ferret, fur and feather classes.
September: Summer of Soul
- Whitby Soul and Motown Weekend (13th -15th September):
Held at the Whitby Pavillion, visit for the very best in Soul and Motown with 2 Live acts and 20 DJs.